This yummy delish peanut butter cookie recipe makes little circles of joy that are not only ridiculously moreish but they get their sweetness from natural sugars, so they’re pretty nutritious too! This recipe is also vegan and contains absolutely no refined sugar.
Instead of refined sugars, these peanut butter thumbprint cookies use dates and maple syrup for natural sweetness so your body will be much happier with you. Also, the jam/jelly will have natural fruity sweetness too – what’s not to love!
These cookies are the chewy kind – my absolute favorite! Mixed with the jam for the ultimate PB&J flavour. This peanut butter cookie recipe is an absolute winner in my house – they never last for long!
The buckwheat flour is naturally gluten-free and has a lovely earthy/nutty flavour that works really well for this recipe. But, if you don’t have any and don’t need it gluten-free then all-purpose flour will work fine as a substitute.
There’s some really handy flour substitution charts out there, check out the one I use here.
Buckwheat flour is really easy to get hold of these days whether in supermarkets or online. I like to buy in BULK!! I cook so much it saves me money long term.
The Key Ingredients for the VEGAN PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE RECIPE:
These cookies are made from whole foods packed with nutrients, so although they’re still a sweet treat they’re not full of empty calories!
Flaxseeds and water – the best vegan substitute for egg in my opinion, with lots of healthy omegas too.
Medjool dates – super sweet and caramel flavoured. (If you’re a fan of the Medjool date flavour then check out my salted caramel energy ball recipe!)
Peanut butter – use the smooth, firm variety for the best results – unless a bit of extra crunch is your thing!
Buckwheat flour – naturally gluten-free and nutty, it works SO well in this recipe.
Maple syrup – so much flavour and natural sweetness. The BEST natural sweetener in my opinion. Sidetrack: I know there are lots of good reasons to want to visit Canada, but trying the best maple syrup in the world is top of my list.
Baking powder and baking soda – for that extra touch of fluffiness.
Raspberry jam – any flavour would be yummy but I like the tart contrast between the cookie and the raspberry flavour. This is why I use the lowest sugar content jam I can.
Like this Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe?
If you enjoy this recipe don’t forget to leave a review below and share it with your friends!
PB & J CHEWY VEGAN COOKIES (Refined Sugar and Gluten Free)
- Food Processor
- Baking Tray
- Cooling Rack
- 1½ tbsp flaxseeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 8 medjool dates
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup buckwheat flour (you can use all-purpose flour as a substitute)
- 1 tsp baking powder (use gluten-free if needed)
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 8 tsp raspberry jam (jelly if you're from the States)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F
- Make the flax egg by measuring out the flaxseed and water in a small bowl and set to one side for at least ten minutes until the mix has thickened and gone gloopy.
- Add all of the ingredients to the food processer and whizz on a high speed for around a minute and a half. You may need to scrape down the edges a couple of times throughout.
- Line a baking tray with some parchemnt/baking paper and using a spoon blob out 8 equal balls of the mix until it's all used up, leaving a little room between each ball as they will spread out a bit when cooking.
- Pop in the oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes take out the cookies and using the back of a spoon, press a little dip into the centre of each cookie. Place the cookies back in the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- When the time is up, take the cookies out and transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool completely (around 45 minutes).
- When cool, add a teaspoon of jam (or jelly for my American friends) in to each of the dips you made, and they're ready to enjoy!
Don’t forget to Pin for later…