Did you know that nearly all shop-bought ketchup is absolutely LOADED with sugar?! Honestly, I don’t really know why, because it’s SOOOO good without it. That’s why I wanted to share this sugar-free ketchup recipe with you all!
It’s healthier, kinder to the waistline, and incredibly delicious too! All of the ingredients are also really easy to come by.
A Pinner? Pin This Recipe For Later…
Don’t forget to follow me so you can keep an eye on all of my new recipes – there’s new ones every week!
I have added in an optional ingredient of liquid smoke to this recipe though… wait, liquid what??
Liquid smoke *drools* gives any food you want that lovely authentic smokey flavour. You don’t need much to give your food some oomph, and it’s totally worth hunting down. I get mine from Amazon in a 3 pack (that’s how much I love it!!).
If you can’t get hold of it don’t worry! There will still be a little smokey flavour from the smoked paprika and it will definitely still taste great.
What You’ll Need for the Sugar Free Ketchup Recipe – Including Substitutions!
- Passata – A thick tomato sauce without any ‘bits’, made from 100% tomatoes. If you only have tinned tomatoes then this can work too, just add the steps of blending with a hand blender and straining if it’s still lumpy.
- Wholegrain Mustard – This variety gives a nice seedy texture without the intensity of other types. Perfect for this recipe because it’s full of flavour! But, if all you have is another kind though, then just go with it!
- Smoked Paprika – I use smoked paprika because I love the smokey flavour. If you only have plain paprika then this will work too.
- Fresh Garlic – I love that flavour of fresh but if you only have granules then that’s ok too. You will need about 1/2 tsp to replace two cloves.
- Cinnamon – This recipe only uses a bit, but it adds to the lovely warm flavour.
- Mixed Spice – A lovely warming ingredient!
- Onion Granules – Using granules makes this recipe easier as you don’t want huge chunks of onion in your ketchup.
- Liquid Smoke – This is optional, but it takes the recipe to the next level so add it if you can!
I’d definitely recommend batch cooking this recipe! It freezes great and can act as a base for lots of other recipes too – including my much loved smokey BBQ sauce recipe.
This recipe is great with fries, so if you really want to up your healthy eating game, pair this sugar free ketchup with these incredible air fryer fries.
You know I’m a fan of making ‘junk food’ into healthy, nutritious plant-based food so this sugar-free ketchup recipe really ticks all of the boxes, and goes with just about anything!
Like this Recipe?
If you enjoy this sugar free ketchup recipe don’t forget to leave a review below and share it with your friends!
Follow me on Instagram for sneak peeks at upcoming recipes and ‘behind the scenes’ food photography stories.
Sugar Free Ketchup Recipe
- Saucepan with lid
- Measuring spoons
- Stirring spoon
- Storage jar
- 500 g Passata (just over 2 cups)
- 2 cloves Garlic (large)
- 1 tsp Wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Liquid smoke (optional, but yummy)
- ¼ tsp Sea salt
- ¼ tsp Onion granules
- 1 pinch Cinnamon
- 1 pinch Mixed spice
- Mince the garlic, or just chop as small as you can.
- Add it to a pan with a dash of water, put a lid on it, and put on a low heat for about 3 minutes so it softens up a little.
- Add in all of the other ingredients and stir well. Keep on a low heat and mostly cover with the lid – you want to leave a gap to let the steam escape so it reduces down. If you leave the lid off altogether it can spit a bit and make a mess.
- Stir regularly, and cook for about 30 minutes.The sauce should be nice and thick by the time you're done.
- Leave to cool completely, then add to an airtight container and keep it stored in the fridge.